Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Day 11 – A picture of something you hate


Guess what ya'll. I've got a phobia. Actually likely the majority of the population, WE have a phobia. I am Coulrophobic. I. HATE. CLOWNS.

I couldn't even bring myself to post a "real" clown. I had to settle for a drawing in pretty bright colors. Look, he's even got a creepy smile on his face.

I am also Masklophobic


It all started when I was younger, maybe about 7 or 8. My family was (and mostly still is) avid Colorado College Hockey fans. Typically we'd leave right after the game ended, once in a blue moon we'd stay and chat with a friend for a few minutes.

On this particular night, we had stayed longer than usual chatting with one of my family's many hockey buddies. CC has this mascot tiger that skates around. Remember, 7 or 8 years old. I didn't really think much of it, I knew he wasn't a real tiger but I never thought about who was under that crooked head and fake fur.

So there I stand with my family as the arena (then held at the Air Force Academy) emptied and workers began the slow process of sweeping up the piles of popcorn and spilled soda off the stands. I take it all in, I hadn't been at the arena this late, ever. I had never seen it so empty but so busy.

And then I saw it. Well more like him. The mascot. He was a college kid, probably a little bit younger than I am now. Brown hair dripping with sweat and he carried out the tiger head under his arm. He was in street clothes, jeans and a shirt, but the rest had to have been in the duffle bag he was carrying.

From that point on, I had a fear of mascots. I don't know who is under those layers of sweat, fake fur, and plaster. I'd love to believe that every mascot is a 17 year old kid working his way up the food chain at his local Burger King. But I just can't. There is something about those smiles, and can't talk attitudes that have me uneasy.

I'm going to say that's why I hate clowns as well. Even though they aren't encased in a plaster head and faux fur uniform, you don't know know who is under them. And a lot of creepy old guys seem to flock to clowns. *shudder*

No comments: