Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 04 – A picture of yourself and a family member

Bella the Owl, Kaylin the Ladybug and Me, October 2011

My aunt and uncle are two of the best people on the face of this Earth. Honestly, hands down. I don't know of anyone else in my family I can just pick up the phone, text and say I'm coming over I need a glass of wine.

I'll never forget when my aunt and uncle set out to adopt a baby. After years of having no luck in the baby department, I remember when she proudly handed me their adoption portfolio. I opened the first page, it was seriously something straight out of Martha-Freaking-Stewart. Page after page, bright colors, all showing off my aunt and uncle's life, their beloved dogs, and my fantastic grandmother. The portfolio was going to be given to the adoption agent and birth parents could view it and chose if they want to place their child in that home.

I remember coming home from work at Shoe Carnival one afternoon, not long after the adoption process began, to a very excited aunt. She explained to me that there is a birth mother who just had her baby girl and she was considering my aunt and uncle for the adoption. I remember as my aunt explained how she and the birth mom had talked for hours and it felt like there was an instant connection.

Not long after that conversation, my aunt and uncle met Isabella for the first time. They held her, loved her, and the birth mom knew that Bella was theirs. I'll never forget how excited my aunt and uncle were to go buy all these baby items. Our friends and family came by the truck loads bringing gifts, toys, and other helpful items my aunt and uncle, the new parents, were going to need. I came home from work that night in a rush to meet her. I held her in my arms, the tiniest little thing and I instant fell in love. I felt so privileged to watch her grow for the next year. She went from this tiny little baby in preemie clothes, to this mobile little being with her own personality.

When we went to Germany she wasn't totally mobile yet. She'd cruise around the kitchen in her walker like nobody's business, but she wasn't quite crawling. I swear I remember to this day when I first saw the video of her crawling. I got so excited, she was getting so big.

Over the next two years I watched her grow from a little being, to a toddler, to a kid all via the wonderful Facebook (and various cards and presents from my aunt). And when Kaylin and I stepped off that plane and she saw her for the first time it was amazing. She truly loves this little girl, and she truly loves me.

I am so happy that my aunt and uncle finally got their little miracle. No one in this world deserves it more than they do. And I am so happy that I get to share in the joys with them. We love you!

2 comments:

Bella's Blog said...

Wow! It's hard to post something through all the tears.. Happy and Grateful tears! Thank you Ash. You know how much we love you and now baby Kaylin:) We are so glad you're home, and I look forward to watching our girls grow up together!

Bella's Blog said...

PS did you know that today is National Adoption Day?