Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 28 – A picture of your favorite place in the world

David

I am one of the few people that I know that got the privilege to stand in front of this statue and take in its amazing beauty.
Senior year of high school I got the pleasure to tour Europe. It was an extraordinary experience. Walking on bridges that were hundreds of years old in London, standing on top of the Effiel Tower in Paris, and viewing Vatican City; all once in a lifetime opportunities.

However, my favorite part of the trip was getting the chance to see Michaelangelo's David. There weren't many of us on the trip that had the desire to go find the hole in the wall museum where David is displayed, so a small group of us went on a hunt. We were led by our "fearless" leader, who happened to be my favorite high school teacher. He knew where we were going and, in all honesty had we not gone with him (and of course the small line formed outside) we would have walked past the museum and not thought twice.

Once inside there were no photographs to be taken. The walls were hung from floor to ceiling with paintings, and flash photography effects the brightness of the paint, making the paint fade.

There is a small bench behind the statue, my aunt and I made our way up to it and spent the next (almost) hour pointing out the immense detail carved so delicately out of marble. I was in complete and total awe. I cannot believe that a man was able to carve such an amazing creation out of marble. Even with today's technology, I know for a fact I could never carve anything out of marble.

I could honestly spend hours looking over the detail created. Truly one of my favorite places in the entire world.

No comments: